2020年4月9日 星期四

Exchange in SUTD Week 10: Volunteer in Willing Hearts

Thanks to the TF LEaRN Programme, I had the opportunity to be a volunteer in Singapore. Originally, the Rotaract Club would provide feasible project for us. However, due to the deteriorating virus situation, we have to find volunteer work on our own.

After doing some research online, I finally found this organization called Willing Hearts. Willing Hearts is a secular, non-affiliated charity, and is operated by a handful of staff and volunteers. It is a soup kitchen that cooks around 6,500 meals for underprivileged people in Singapore 365 days a year.

As a volunteer, there are several tasks to do. I will enumerate them as below:
  1.  Pack lunch boxes 
  2.  Wash Pots and Pans 
  3.  Prepare ingredients (defrosting, taking out, chopping...)
  4.  General help
For me, being a volunteer in Willing Hearts is not that difficult. However I still faced a few challenges. One of them is that sometimes I would find myself lost in the midst of hustle and bustle in the kitchen. Fortunately, this did not last for too long. After working for a few hours, I found out that whenever I don't know what to do, I can just ask any staff there, and they will be willing to tell me where I can help. The biggest challenge I faced has to be handling fish. Our job is to gut all the fish. I had never saw so many dead fish in front of me before, and the fishy smell made me want to vomit. Even I wore gloves, the smell has left on my hands for the whole day. Overall, this is definitely a unique experience when I recall my exchange life in Singapore in the future.







沒有留言:

張貼留言