2020年2月5日 星期三

Exchange in SUTD Week 0: Hostel Check-In and Preparations



Hostel Check-In

Usually we should arrive in Singapore by January 21 because the matriculation program would take place on 22 to 23. I decided to come to Singapore on 17 to have more time to settle down. It is really kind that SUTD hostel provides early check-in for students. 

After I arrived in Changi Airport, I took the SMRT to SUTD immediately because the open hours for check-in ends at 5 pm. Thankfully, SUTD is only two stations from the airport. By the way, it was also the first time I experienced the weather in Singapore. It was really hot! 





My Room

For exchange students, we should either live in the student hostel or find an off-campus accommodation. As for me, I chose to live in the hostel.  

The room type I chose at first was Single (Ensuite) Room. However, due to limited vacancies, I was offered Single (Non-ensuite) Room. The housing fee for non-ensuite room is SGD$1836 (around NT$41000) throughout the whole term.


To keep it simple, the main items in the room are wardrobe, single size mattress, desk and bookshelf, drying closet, and of course fan and air-conditioner. My first impression of the room is simple but decent. As for other facilities, please check out https://sutd.edu.sg/Campus-Life/Housing/Non-graduating/Room-Type.


Important Things to Do on Day 1

  • Get an EZ-link card
  • AC! AC! AC! 
  • Decorate your bed
EZ-link card is a stored value card for public transit use on the SMRT and buses. It is very similar to the EasyCard in Taiwan. EZ-link card can be topped up via ticket machines in train stations or convenient stores. Do notice that once the card value is lower than $3, you can't enter the train station or take a bus. After getting an EZ-link card, I think the easiest way to go to SUTD is by MRT. I would suggest you to download the app "SG MRT".

Next, I would like to talk about the methods of topping up your air-conditioner in SUTD hostel since it was my first thought when I entered my room. There are two ways to top up. The first is to use the EVS machine outside the housing security office, and the second way is to top up online via Visa or Mastercard. However, the first way is hard to achieve since the machine only accepts Nets. Thus, I would suggest exchange students to bring a Visa or Mastercard from your hometown to make life easier. If you face any questions, you can ask Office of Housing (located on block 59) for help.


After you got AC in your room, it is really important to have a good sleep since it has been a tiring day. The hostel will provide a mattress so things you need are bed sheet, quilt, and pillow. To get all the stuff, just simply visit Changi City Point which is a mall near SUTD. I remembered the first day I went there, the bedding is on sale. On B1, there are shops like FairPrice (supermarktet) and Daiso where I got most of my daily necessaries from. 



This post sums up the most important things to do on day 1. I will catch you guys in the next post.







沒有留言:

張貼留言